- Servings: 12 muffins
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Total Time: 35-40 minutes
|1½ cups||King Arthur Unbleached All-purpose Flour|
|¾ cup||King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour|
|2 tsp||Baking Powder|
|¼ tsp||Baking Soda|
|⅓ cup||Granulated Sugar|
|1½ cups||Currants (first Choice) or Raisins|
|½ – 2 tsp||Caraway Seeds, to taste|
|1 cup||Buttermilk, yogurt, or sour cream|
|6 Tbsp||Butter, melted; or ⅓ cup vegetable oil|
|Sparkling White Sugar, for topping|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin pan; or line with papers, and grease the papers.
2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, currants or raisins, and caraway seeds.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk (or equivalent) and melted butter (or equivalent).
4) Quickly and gently combine the dry and wet ingredients; honestly, this won't take more than a few stirs with a bowl scraper or large spoon. As soon as everything is evenly moistened, quit; further stirring will cause the muffins to be tough.
5) Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling the cups about 3/4 full; the stiff batter will look mounded in the cups. Top with sparkling white sugar, if desired.
6) Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove them from the oven. Tip the muffins in the pan, so their bottoms don't get soggy. Wait 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a rack to cool. Serve them plain, or with butter and/or jam.